- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g calves' kidneys, cut into small pieces with any sinew removed
- 50 g cooked Puy lentils
- 5 x 1cm thick rashers of smoked pancetta
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch sage, chopped
- 100 ml marsala
- 100 ml red wine
- 300 ml double cream
- black pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemons
- salad, to serve
1. In a large, heavy-based frying pan heat the olive oil until smoking.
2. Add the kidneys and pancetta. Fry for 1-2 minutes, tossing.
3. Add the garlic, shallot and sage and toss again.
4. Pour over the Marsala. Set the Marsala alight then add the red wine.
5. Cook briskly until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the cooked Puy lentils and mix in the cream and butter. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Bring to the boil.
6. Add the lemon juice and serve at once with salad.
Rate This Recipe