- Serves: Serves 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- small bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 15 ml gin
- 1 tsp marmalade
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 300 ml beef stock
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- black pepper
- 8 slices calves' liver, 50g each
For the sweet potato and artichoke gratin:
- 11 lemons, juice only
- 4 globe artichokes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25 g butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 01/2 onions, chopped
- 100 ml white wine
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- black pepper
- 25 g parmesan, grated
- 25 g breadcrumbs
1. First make the gin sauce. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 oz butter in a large saucepan. Add the shallot and garlic, and gently cook over a medium heat until softened.
2. Add the lime juice, lime zest and parsley. Stir in the gin. Increase the heat and bring to the boil. Add the marmalade and mustard and mix well.
3. Add the beef stock and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and cook sauce until reduced by half. Add the Worcestershire sauce, salt and freshly ground pepper. Set aside until required.
4. Now prepare the vegetable gratin. Fill a mixing bowl with cold water and half the lemon juice.
5. Using a bread knife, trim away the artichoke leaves right down to the hearts. Cut the hearts into quarters and then halve the quarters. Using a small sharp knife remove any hairs from the artichoke hearts. Place the artichoke wedges in the lemon water to prevent them from discolouring. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 2 cm thick slices.
6. In a large frying pan heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 25g butter. Add the chopped onion and garlic, and cook gently over a very low heat.
7. Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the sweet potato slices to the boiling water and blanch for four minutes. Remove the sweet potato with a slotted spoon.
8. Add the artichoke wedges to the boiling water and blanch for 4 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon.
9. Keep the liquid on the boil and boil for a further 10 minutes. Meanwhile, add the blanched sweet potato and artichoke to the frying pan. Turn up the heat and add the white wine. Bring to the boil. Reduce by half. Once reduced, add 2 ladlefuls of the vegetable cooking water, just enough to cover the vegetables in the frying pan. Simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Transfer the vegetables and any liquid to a heatproof serving dish.
10. Gently reheat the gin sauce. Preheat a griddle pan or a heavy frying pan. Preheat the grill. Pat the liver dry with kitchen paper, brush with olive oil and season with a little salt.
11. Sprinkle the remaining lemon juice over the vegetable gratin. Sprinkle over the grated Parmesan cheese and the breadcrumbs Flash-cook under the grill for 1 minute.
12. Cook the liver on the preheated griddle for 1 minute on each side. Serve at once with the gin sauce and the vegetable gratin.
Rate This Recipe