- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 100 g flour
- black pepper
- 1 pinches cayenne pepper
- 50 ml olive oil
- 160 g calves' liver, cut into 2cm-thick strips
- 150 g butter
- juice of 2 limes
For the Mash:
- 200 g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 100 g butter
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- rock salt
1. First cook the mash. Simmer the diced potatoes in a pan of water until tender; drain.
2. Put the potatoes through a potato ricer with the butter. Beat vigorously until the butter is incorporated.
3. Mix together the white wine vinegar and shallots. Season with rock salt. Mix the shallot vinegar into the mashed potato and keep warm.
4. Meanwhile, season the flour with salt and freshly ground pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Coat the liver strips in the seasoned flour.
5. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add the liver and cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add 25g butter. Cook over medium heat until the butter browns. Remove the liver, drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
7. Heat the remaining butter in a small heavy-based frying pan. Add the lime segment and lime juice. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
8. Arrange the pan-fried liver on the mashed potato and spoon over the lime butter sauce. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe