- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: hard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 skinless cod loin, (or thick fillets) weighing about 150g each
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 150 g girolles
- black pepper
For the mashed potatoes:
- 1.5 kg evenly sized floury potatoes, such as Desirée or King Edward
- 100 ml milk
- 25 g unsalted butter
For the red wine sauce:
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced lengthways
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprig thyme
- 200 ml red wine
- 200 ml port
- few sprigs of flat leaf parsley
- 25 g melted butter
1. For the mashed potatoes, put the potatoes in a large saucepan with enough water to just cover. Add salt, cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, with the lid on, for about 20 minutes until tender. Drain well and put back in the pan, off the heat. Cover with a clean tea towel to absorb excess moisture, and replace the lid.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, put the sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer briskly until reduced by about half.
3. Push the cooked potato through a potato ricer or sieve into a clean pan. Whisk in the milk and butter. Keep warm.
4. Season the cod on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat a non-stick frying pan until very hot. Add the olive oil and the cod. Cook for 3-5 minutes each side, until golden brown and there is no resistance when the fish is pierced with a cocktail stick.
5. While the fish is cooking, heat all but a knob of the butter in a small frying pan. Fry the mushrooms over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
6. When the fish is cooked, add the remaining knob of butter to the pan and baste the fish.
7. To prepare the garnish, dip the parsley sprigs in the melted butter and place on cling film. Sprinkle with salt. Microwave for 1 minute.
8. To serve, spoon or pipe the mashed potato in a ring in the middle of each plate. Top with the cod and garnish with the parsley sprigs. Arrange the mushrooms round the potatoes and drizzle with the red wine sauce.
Rate This Recipe