- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 25 g butter
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 2 duck breast, each 200g with skin on
- black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 1 bulb fennel, finely sliced
- 1 Golden Delicious apple
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp duck liver paté
- 1 tsp pine kernels, toasted
- 10 g flat leaf parsley, chopped
For the red wine sauce
- 200 ml beef stock
- 100 ml red wine
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
2. Heat a heavy-based frying pan until very hot. Add in 15g of butter and the honey, heat through quickly, then place the duck breast skin-side-down in the pan.
3. Season the duck breasts with salt and freshly ground pepper and fry until the skin is almost blackened before turning over.
4. Transfer the duck to a roasting tray and roast in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and rest, keeping warm, before serving.
5. While the duck is cooking, heat the remaining butter and a little olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan.
6. Add in the fennel, apple, garlic and shallots and fry, stirring often, for 6 minutes.
7. Mix in the pate, pine nuts and parsley thoroughly and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Then remove from the heat.
8. To make the red wine sauce, heat the red wine in a small saucepan until reduced by half. Add in the stock and cook briskly until the mixture has reduced to around 100ml.
9. To serve, divide the apple and fennel mixture among two warm serving plates. Top each serving with a rested duck breast, spoon the red wine sauce around the edge and serve.
Rate This Recipe