- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 3 red onions, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 100 g spicy black olives, (marinated with chilli and herbs)coarsely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- black pepper
- 8 red mullet fillets, each 150-200g, skin on, scaled and pin boned
- 4 lemon wedges
1. Gently heat 80ml of the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the red onions and garlic and sweat gently, stirring now and then.
2. Once the onions are transparent and softened, add the black olives and cook for 4 minutes more.
3. Add the tomato strips and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the basil, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and put to one side.
4. Season the red mullet fillets with salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Heat the remaining olive oil in a non-stick frying pan. Once the oil is hot, place the red mullet, skin side-down and fry for 2 minutes on the skin side.
6. Turn the mullet fillets over and fry for 1 minute on the flesh side.
7. To serve put a portion of the olive and tomato compote each on two warm serving plates. Place two fillets per portion over the compote and garnish with a wedge of lemon and a drizzle of olive oil around the plate.
Rate This Recipe