- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 x 250 g leg of lamb steaks, 2cm thick (on the bone)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large field or portobello mushrooms, wiped clean
- butter, for sautéing
- squeeze lemon juice
- sprigs parsley, for garnish
- chips, to serve
For the anchovy butter
- 100 g tinned anchovies, in oil drained and patted dry
- 200 g unsalted butter, softened
- freshly ground black pepper
- handfuls flat leaf parsley, leaves finely chopped
- handfuls tarragon, leaves finely chopped
1. For the anchovy butter: place the anchovy fillets and soft butter in a food processor. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the container with a spatula once or twice.
2. Season to taste with black pepper and stir in the herbs. Spoon the butter in a long sausage shape on a large piece of cling film, then roll in the film until smooth. Wrap tightly and chill.
3. For the lamb steaks: heat the oil in a large frying pan. Season the lamb steaks and fry over a high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
4. Finish frying with a knob of butter, remove from the heat and rest for 5 minutes.
5. Grill or sauté the mushrooms with a knob of butter and seasoning until tender but holding their shape.
6. Squeeze over a little lemon juice. Serve the lamb topped with a mushroom.
7. Slice off a piece from the anchovy butter sausage and place on top of the mushroom. Garnish with a sprig of parsley and serve with chips.
Rate This Recipe