- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 8 mackerel fillets, with the skins on
- 75 g plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 25 g butter, softened
- lemon wedges, to serve
For the herb butter
- 100 g butter
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh herbs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
1. For the herb butter: beat the butter in a bowl until creamed, add the chopped herbs and the lemon juice. Roll into a sausage shape and wrap in greaseproof paper or cling film. Put into the freezer to chill quickly.
2. Put a frying pan or a grill-pan on the heat until it is very hot.
3. Dip the fillets of fish in the seasoned flour and shake off the excess.
4. Spread the flesh side of the fish with a little soft butter and put the butter side down on the hot pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until crisp and golden, then turn over and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes, turning down the heat if the pan is getting too hot.
5. Serve on warmed plates with 1-2 slices of herb butter slowly melting on the fish, and a wedge of lemon on the side.
Rate This Recipe