- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 150 g mozzarella, quartered
- 4 slices of speck bacon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- 100 g mixed salad leaves
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
For the red pepper chutney:
- 140 ml olive oil
- 2 large red peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp fructose
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 200 ml brown chicken stock
1. First make the red pepper chutney. Heat four tablespoons of the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add the peppers and cook over high heat for 3 minutes.
2. Add the honey, fructose, vinegar, diced red onion and garlic, cover and then simmer over a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring now and then, until the peppers soften.
3. Remove from the heat and mix in the remaining olive oil and the stock. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Wrap each mozzarella quarter in a slice of speck and secure with wooden cocktail sticks.
5. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a non-stick pan until very hot. Season the wrapped mozzarella with salt and freshly ground pepper, and fry for a few minutes on each side to brown and crisp the bacon.
6. Place the salad leaves in a bowl with the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and freshly ground pepper and toss. Divide between two plates in a high pile.
7. Remove the mozzarella parcels from the pan once the speck is nice and crisp and place on top of the salad. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and pour over the juices remaining in the pan.
8. Add the chutney to the side of each salad and serve.
Rate This Recipe