- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 plump partridges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 shallots, peeled and whole
- 2 tbsp calvados or apple brandy
- 150 ml white wine
- a pinch of thyme, leaves only
- black pepper
- 110 g seedless green grapes, halved
For the root vegetable rosti:
- 2 medium carrots, peeled
- 1 parsnip, peeled
- ½ small celeriac
- 1 large potato, peeled
- black pepper
- vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
2. Heat the olive oil and butter in an ovenproof frying pan. Add in the partridges and fry until golden on all sides.
3. Add in the shallots, then the calvados and ignite.
4. Once the flames have died down, add the white wine, thyme and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Transfer to the oven and roast for 6 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, coarsely grate the carrots, parsnip, celeriac and potato. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Heat the oil for shallow-frying in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Form the root vegetable mixture into small flat fritters or rostis and fry until crisp and golden on both sides.
8. Remove the partridges from the oven and keep warm until serving.
9. Return the frying pan with its cooking juices to direct heat. Add in the grapes, bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
10.Serve the partridges with the root vegetable rosti and grape sauce.
Rate This Recipe