- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 20 mins salting
- Effort: easy
- 3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- black pepper
- 25 g butter
- milk, for mashing
- 2 shallots
- 250 ml white wine vinegar
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp flat leaf parsley, chopped into fine strips
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 salmon, (170g each)skin on
For the cucumber raita:
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into short fine strips
- black pepper
- 500 ml natural yogurt
- 2 tsp fresh coriander, chopped into fine strips
1. First finely chop the shallots and soak in white wine vinegar. Set aside.
2. For, the raita, sprinkle the cucumber lightly with salt and set aside to drain in a colander for 20 minutes. Pat the cucumber dry and mix with the yoghurt and coriander. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling salted water until tender; drain and mash with butter and milk. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Drain the shallots and mix in with the mustard and parsley.
4. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Season the salmon with salt and freshly ground pepper and score the skin, using a sharp knife. Add the salmon skin side-down and fry for 3-4 minutes or until the skin is crispy.
5. Turn the salmon over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes on the other side.
6. Serve the salmon on a bed of shallot mustard mash with the cucumber raita. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the salmon just before serving.
Rate This Recipe