- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 50 ml red wine
- 50 ml balsamic vinegar
- 250 g canned chopped tomatoes
- black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp tarragon leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp allspice berries
- 2 aubergines, cut into 1cm dice
- 160 g sea bass, skin on
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Add a crushed garlic clove and a finely chopped shallot. Fry very gently, stirring often, over a very low heat for 5 minutes, until softened.
2. Add the red wine and cook briskly, stirring the pan with a wooden spatula now and then, until reduced by half.
3. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook briskly, stirring now and then, until reduced by half.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato juice. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring now and then, until the liquid has been absorbed. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix in the tarragon and parsley.
5. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a separate heavy-based frying pan. Add the cumin and allspice. Fry, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Remove the seeds and crush in a pestle and mortar.
6. Return the seeds to the frying pan, add the remaining garlic and shallot and fry for 5 minutes, stirring often.
7. Add the diced aubergine and cook gently for 10-15 minutes, until softened. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
8. After the aubergine has been cooking for 10 minutes cook the sea bass.
9. Season the sea bass with salt and freshly ground pepper. Heat a heavy-based frying pan until hot. Add the remaining olive oil.
10. Add the sea bass skin side down. Fry the sea bass for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
11. Mix together the tomato and aubergine mixtures.
12. To serve, spread the tomato aubergine mixture over a warm serving plate. Top with the pan-fried sea bass and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe