- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 chicken, weighing about 1kg, jointed into eight pieces
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g mirepoix vegetables, (carrot, onion and celery), diced
- 4 clove garlic, peeled and left whole
- 125 ml fruity dry white wine, such as Reisling
- 500 ml chicken stock, preferably home-made
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- 4 tbsp whipping cream
- 2 tbsp tarragon, coarsely chopped
- squeeze of lemon juice
- coarse sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
3. Heat an oven-proof pan over medium heat. Add the oil and, when hot, the chicken pieces. Cook until lightly browned all over.
4. Add the diced vegetables and garlic. Transfer the pan to the oven. Roast for about 40 minutes until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
5. Remove the chicken from the pan and keep warm.
6. Place the pan over a medium-high heat and deglaze with the white wine, stirring up any sediment.
7. Pour in the chicken stock and simmer briskly until reduced by half.
8. Stir in the crème fraîche and cream, and adjust the seasoning. Return the chicken pieces to the pan. Add the tarragon and lemon juice, and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe