- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 lamb's kidneys, weighing about 50g each
- 12 small shallots, peeled and left whole
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 150 ml champagne vinegar
- 250 ml dry white wine, such as Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 litres veal stock
- 75 g chives, chopped
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- potato rösti, to serve
1. Heat a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and the butter. When sizzling, add the kidneys and sear one side for about 3 minutes until brown. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Add the shallots, honey and mustard powder to the pan, stirring to mix.
3. Deglaze the pan with the champagne vinegar, the white wine and the veal stock, scraping up any sediment. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes until the shallots are soft and the sauce reduced.
4. Stir in the chopped chives.
5. Return the kidneys to the sauce and simmer until reheated. Serve with potato rösti.
Rate This Recipe