- Serves: 2
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 20 minutes marinating
- Effort: easy
- 1 whole rabbit
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 large pinches sea salt
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus 1 large handful flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped marjoram
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 tbsp duck fat
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 1 punnet grape tomatoes
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, 2 roughly chopped, 1 sliced into wedges
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunches rocket, trimmed
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
2. Carve the rabbit legs (leaving the thigh and leg attached) from the body and place into a large bowl. Roughly chop the rabbit bones and set aside.
3. Using a pestle and mortar, pound half of the garlic cloves, salt, three tablespoons of the parsley and the marjoram together to make a rough paste. Loosen the mixture with a few tablespoons of olive oil.
4. Coat the rabbit legs with the herb paste and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
4. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the chopped rabbit bones, duck fat, white onion and grape tomatoes. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the bones are well browned all over. Strain the liquid into a bowl, pressing down on the tomatoes to release all their juices, and set aside.
5. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan over a high heat. Add the marinated rabbit legs and fry for 4-5 minutes on both sides, or until golden-brown all over. Place into the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the rabbit is cooked through.
6. Place the chopped vine-ripened tomatoes, red onion, remaining garlic and parsley in a food processor and blend to a smooth purée. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a clean, non-reactive saucepan.
7. Add sugar, balsamic vinegar and one tablespoon of olive oil to the strained tomato mixture. Stir well, then bring to the boil and cook over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until nearly all of the liquid has evaporated
8. Combine the rocket and tomato wedges in a bowl and dress with olive oil and one tablespoon of the grape tomato liquid.
9. To serve, place a rabbit leg on each of two plates and drizzle over the pan juices. Arrange the rocket and tomatoes next to the rabbit and serve the tomato chutney in a small dish or ramekin alongside.
Rate This Recipe