- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 sprig of thyme, finely chopped
- 1 sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 marrow, chopped into half moons
- salt, nd freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil, for roasting and grilling
- 4 fresh sardines, gutted
- 100 g pitted black olives, chopped
- a small bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 8 thin slices of pancetta
- 25 g unsalted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Mix together the garlic, thyme, rosemary, shallots and chopped marrow.
3. Place the marrow mixture in a roasting pan, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with half the oil, and roast until the marrow is soft - about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, season the sardines. Mix together the olives and parsley and stuff the sardines with this mixture. Wrap each sardine in two slices of pancetta. Brush with the remaining oil, dot with the butter and cook under a hot grill for 4 minutes on each side.
5. Serve the freshly grilled sardines with the hot, roast marrow.
Rate This Recipe