- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 500 g paneer, thinly sliced
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 tsp chaat masala
For the coriander chutney:
- 1/2 bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- 2-3 green chillies, chopped
- 1/2 green mango, cubed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For the batter:
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ajwain seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 200 g gram flour
- large pinch of bicarbonate of soda
1. First make the coriander chutney. Place the coriander, chillies, mango, lemon juice and salt in a food processor.
2. Blend together into a paste.
3. Sandwich together slices of paneer with some of the coriander chutney.
4. Now make the batter. In a mixing bowl, mix together the ginger paste, garlic paste, ajwain, chilli, gram flour, bicarbonate and salt. Whisk in just enough water to form a thick, lump-free batter.
5. Heat the oil for deep-frying in a wok or deep-fat fryer. Dip each paneer 'sandwich' into the batter just before frying. Fry in batches until crisp and golden brown.
6. Remove the deep-fried paneer from the oil using a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle over the chaat masala.
7. Serve at once accompanied by the remaining coriander chutney.
Rate This Recipe