- Serves: Serves 6
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 panettone
- 1 small loaf brioche
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 75 g caster sugar
- 600 ml milk
- 300 ml double cream
- 2 vanilla pods, or half a tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C/gas 1.
2. Cut the panettone and brioche into 1 cm thick slices. Lightly toast the panettone and brioche slices under a grill taking care that they do not burn.
3. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Brush a large, shallow ovenproof dish with the melted butter. Layer the toasted panettone and brioche in overlapping slices in the dish. Brush with the remaining butter.
4. In a medium-sized bowl beat together the yolks and caster sugar. Gently heat the milk and cream together in a non-stick saucepan until hot but not simmering. Pour half the milk mixture over the beaten egg yolks, whisking as you do so.
5. Add the whisked egg and milk mixture to the remaining milk and cream mixture. Split the vanilla pods and throw in. Gently heat, stirring, until simmering.
6. Pour the egg mixture over the panettone and brioche, removing the vanilla pods. Sprinkle over the demerara sugar.
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve warm from the oven with cream.
Rate This Recipe