- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 800 g milk
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest
- 50 g butter
- 6 thick slices panettone
- 2 tbsp amaretto (almond liqueur)
- 50 g blanched flaked almonds
- 3 eggs
- 45 g caster sugar
- 30 g brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Lightly butter a large ovenproof large dish with a depth of about 5cm. Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the lemon zest. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Spread the butter over the slices of panettone and cut into triangles.
3. Scatter the almonds over the base of the prepared dish and layer the Panettone over the top, overlapping the slices as you do so.
4. Beat the eggs, sugar and Amaretto together and stir in the milk.
5. Spoon the mixture over the sliced panettone and leave to soak for about 5 minutes. Using your fingers, gently push the panettone down into the mixture.
6. Dust the top with brown sugar and place the dish in a roasting tin containing enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for about 50-55 minutes, until the custard is lightly set and the top is golden brown. Serve with cream.
Rate This Recipe