- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 5 mins soaking
- Effort: easy
- 800 ml full-fat milk
- 1 lemon, zest only, finely grated
- 6 thick slices panettone
- 75 g butter
- 50 g almonds, sliced
- 3 eggs
- 45 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp amaretto (almond liqueur)
- 30 g brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Grease a 25 x 5cm deep baking dish.
3. Heat the milk in a pan with the lemon zest and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and allow to rest.
4. Meanwhile spread the butter on the panettone slices and cut them into triangles. Place the almonds on the base of the baking dish. Neatly overlap the panettone on top of the almonds.
5. Beat the eggs, sugar and liqueur together and then add the warm milk. Spoon the mixture over the sliced panettone and leave to soak for about 5 minutes. Using your fingers, gently push the panettone down into the custard mixture.
6. Dust the top with brown sugar and place in a roasting tin containing enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for about 50-55 minutes or until the custard is lightly set and the top is golden brown. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe