- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 2-3 hrs chilling
- Effort: easy
- 8 slices Tuscan or other Italian country bread, one day old
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 onions, thinly sliced
- 120 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 leaves basil
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp pepper, coarsely ground
1. Soak the bread slices in a bowl of water. Using your hands, squeeze out all the water from the bread and tear into small pieces. Place in a large bowl.
2. Add the tomato halves to the bread, lightly pressing down with the back of a spoon to extract any juices. Stir in the red onion, olive oil and wine vinegar.
3. Tear the basil leaves into rough pieces and toss into the salad. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Leave the salad to rest in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving. This salad tastes even better if left to chill overnight before bringing to the table.
Rate This Recipe