- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 red peppers
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large stale loaf of bread, preferably Pugliese
- 400 g tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 12 tinned anchovies, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp capers
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- small handful leaves basil
- black pepper
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/ gas 6. Place the peppers in a large roasting pan, drizzle with 1-2 tbsp of oil and roast for about 20 minutes, turning regularly, until blackened all over. Remove the cooked pepper from the oven and wrap in cling film until cool, and then remove the skins.
2. Break the bread into chunks and place them in a large bowl. Add the tinned tomatoes and juice, the chopped fresh tomatoes, the anchovy fillets, capers, garlic, vinegar and basil. Stir in the remaining olive oil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Remove the seeds from the roasted peppers and cut the flesh into strips.
4. Transfer the bread salad to a pretty serving dish and garnish with the pepper strips and red onion.
5. Allow the salad to chill for an hour or so before serving.
Rate This Recipe