- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 1.0833333333333333 hours 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- oil, for greasing
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 115 g caster sugar
- 60 g butter
- 115 g golden syrup
- 225 ml milk, milk
1. Preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2.
2. Grease a 25x18cm cake tin and line with greased greaseproof paper.
3. Sift the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Stir in the egg and then the caster sugar, mixing well.
4. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and the golden syrup, stirring to mix. Remove from the heat and stir in the milk.
5. Gradually stir the milk mixture into the flour and egg mixture. Stir until smooth, then pour into the prepared tin.
6. Bake for about 1 hour or until the mixture starts to shrink away from the sides of the tin.
7. Remove from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
8. Cut into squares and serve, preferably after about 3-4 days when the parkin will have become nice and sticky.
Rate This Recipe