- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the parmesan crisps
- 250 g freshly grated parmesan, plus extra for garnishing
For the tomato sauce
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 x 400 g can chopped tomatoes
For the basil oil
- 100 g basil
- 2 tbsp parsley, leaves only
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 cloves garlic
- 5 tsp mustard powder
- 100 ml olive oil
Tips and Suggestions
Parmesan cheese contains a lot of salt, try only garnishing with a small amount of cheese. For more information on healthy eating see eatwell.gov.uk.
1. For the parmesan crisps: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Line a baking sheet with non-stick parchment and drop little spoonfuls of grated parmesan onto the tray, well spaced apart. Spread out each pile to form a thin circle, then bake for 5-6 minutes, until the parmesan has melted and is lightly golden. Leave to cool on the tray and set into crisps before sliding them off with a palette knife.
2. For the tomato sauce: heat the oil in a medium pan and fry the onion gently for 10 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and the tinned tomatoes and season well. Simmer until the mixture has reduced and thickened, then purée the sauce in a blender and set aside.
3. For the basil oil: put the basil, parsley, pine nuts, garlic, mustard powder and some seasoning in a blender and process until smooth. With the motor running, slowly trickle in the olive oil, until the sauce is emulsified then transfer to a small bowl and chill until required.
4. To serve, put a spoonful of the tomato sauce on a parmesan crisp, then daub over a little of the basil oil and garnish with a basil leaf and a sprinkling of fresh parmesan.
Rate This Recipe