- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 6 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs, (made from bread with the crusts trimmed off)
- 3 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 medallions of veal, each 100g cut from the loin, trimmed of all fat olive oil for frying
- 400 g spinach leaves, washed, blanched refreshed and squeezed dry
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 8 quail, eggs
- diced red peppers, to garnish
- sprig dill, to garnish
For the garnish:
- 4 anchovy fillets, halved lengthways
- 12 caper berries
- 100 ml basil-infused olive oil
- 3 tbsp thick balsamic vinegar
- 40 g pine kernels, toasted
For the polenta nuggets:
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 150 g polenta
- 30 g unsalted butter
- freshly grated nutmeg
- black pepper
For the olive tapenade:
- 12 black olives, pitted
- 4 tinned anchovies
- 1 tbsp capers
- 250 g tinned tuna
- 1/3 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- 50 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
1. First cook the polenta. Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the polenta in a
steady steam, whisking constantly as you do so. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until thickened, whisking constantly.
2. Whisk in the butter and season with grated nutmeg, salt and freshly ground pepper. Pour the polenta into a buttered shallow tin, about 24cm by 20cm, forming a 2cm thick layer. Set aside to cool. Once cool and set cut the polenta into small rounds or any other shape you desire.
3, Make the tapenade. Place the olives, anchovy fillets, capers, tuna, lemon juice, garlic and feta cheese ina food processor. Blend to a puree and, with the food processor going, pour in the olive oil.
Season with freshly ground pepper.
4. To cook the veal medallions, mix the breadcrumbs with the parmesan in a flat dish and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Place the flour in another flat dish and the beaten egg in a shallow bowl.
5. Coat the veal first in the flour, then in the egg and lastly in the breadcrumb and parmesan mixture, shaking off the excess breadcrumbs.
6. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a heavy based frying pan. Fry the veal medallions until golden brown on both sides. Set aside and keep warm.
7. Heat the spinach with the sesame seeds and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Keep warm.
8. Lightly brush a non-stick frying pan with olive oil and place a 7cm pastry cutter in the pan. Break 2 quail's eggs into the cutter and fry gently until cooked to taste. Remove and keep warm. Repeat the
process with the remaining quail's eggs, frying them two at a time.
9. Heat olive oil for shallow frying in a non-stick pan. Fry the polenta nuggets until golden brown on both sides.
10. To serve divide the spinach among 4 plates. Place a veal medallion on top of each spinach portion, then top the veal medallions with the fried quail's eggs. Garnish the dish with anchovies and caper berries. Place a portion of tapenade on each plate, garnishing with red pepper and dill sprigs. Arrange the polenta nuggets around the edge. Mix the basil oil with the balsamic vinegar and drizzle around the plate. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and serve.
Rate This Recipe