- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- butter, for greasing
- flour, for dusting
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 415 g caster sugar
- 225 g almonds, blanched, toasted and ground
- 175 g semolina
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
For the decoration
- 100 g semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp instant espresso coffee powder
- 150 g chocolate, sprinkles or shavings
Tips and Suggestions
this cake tastes better one day after making.
1. For the cake: preheat the oven to 190C/ gas 5. Butter a 23cm pudding basin and sprinkle with flour.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until fluffy and light. Stir in the almonds and semolina - the texture should be stiff. Mix in the lemon zest and juice.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the egg yolk mixture.
4. Pour into the prepared basin and bake for about 1 hr, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool and remove from the mould.
5. For the decoration: put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over simmering water. Stir until melted.
6. Add the espresso powder and mix well. Pour this over the cake and spread with a spatula. Scatter with sprinkles and cool completely. Alternatively, if using chocolate shavings let the frosting cool slightly first before decorating.
Rate This Recipe