- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: hard
For the partridge
- 4 partridges
- 4 slices lardo (pork back fat), (see cook's note)
For the partridge sauce
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 5 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 400 ml chicken stock
For the chicory tart
- 1 packets puff pastry
- 20 g butter
- 4 baby chicory, quartered
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 oranges, juice only
- 20 ml Grand Marnier
- 2 cox apples, peeled and diced
- knob of butter
- 40 g whole hazelnuts, toasted
- pinches sugar
- 200 g cavolo nero, blanched and shredded
- 1 clove garlic
- 200 ml double cream
Tips and Suggestions
lardo is a cured meat made from the layer of fat found directly under the pig's skin. Jun uses it to baste the partridge as it cooks.
1. For the partridge: remove the legs and rib cages from the partridges to make a crown roast. Reserve the legs for the sauce.
2. For the partridge sauce: chop each of the partridge legs into 3 pieces. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the legs until golden. Add the shallots and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add the garlic, thyme and chicken stock (just enough to cover). Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Pass through a sieve, return to the pan and reduce for 5 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
5. Lay a slice of lardo over each partridge crown and secure with string. Heat a large ovenproof frying pan and brown the partridge crowns breast side down. Transfer to the oven breast side up for 4 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove and leave to rest. Take off the breasts.
6. For the chicory tart: preheat oven to 180C/gas 4.
7. Roll out the pastry to 1/2 cm thickness. Cut into 4 rectangles of 10 x 4cm.
8. Melt the butter in a pan and add the chicory. Season and fry for 1 minute then turn over. Add the sugar, ginger, lemon juice, orange juice and grand marnier. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes.
9. Prick the puff pastry and lay the chicory on top. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
10. To serve: fry the apples in butter with the hazelnuts and a pinch of sugar. Gently warm the cabbage in double cream with the clove of garlic.
11. Put the cabbage on the plates and sit a chicory tart on top. Arrange the partridge breast next to it and scatter with the apples and nuts. Finish with the sauce.
Rate This Recipe