- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: easy
- 8 crisp macaroons
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- 8 tbsp amaretto (almond liqueur)
- 2 passion fruit
For the almond custard
- 50 g almonds
- 110 ml water
- 3 egg yolks
- 500 ml milk
- 2 tbsp cornflour
For the passion fruit cream
- 600 ml double cream
- 6 passion fruit, pulp and juice
- 2 lemons, zest only
- icing sugar
1. Line the bottom of a crystal bowl or trifle dish with the macaroons.
2. Spread liberally with the apricot jam, and then pour in the Amaretto.
3. Cut the passion fruit in half, scoop out the pulp and juice and spread it over the soaked macaroons.
4. To make the almond custard, blanch the almonds to remove the skins.
5. Bring the water to boil and pour over the almonds. Soak for 15 minutes. Put the almonds and their water in a food processor and chop very finely.
6. Strain almond milk into a bowl through a double layer of muslin, squeezing the cloth as much as possible. Set aside.
7. Mix the cornflour with a little milk to a smooth paste.
8. Beat the 3 egg yolks and stir in the sugar.
9. Heat the remaining milk to boiling point, and then slowly add the cornflour and egg mixture. Return the custard to the pan and stir over low heat until custard is thickened.
10. Add almond milk and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
11. To make the passion fruit cream, lightly whip the cream and stir in the pulp and juice from the passion fruit and the lemon zest.
12. Pour the cold almond custard over the soaked macaroons and refrigerate for an hour or so, until set.
13. Spoon the passion fruit cream over the custard and decorate with macaroons. Sprinkle icing sugar and serve.
Rate This Recipe