- Serves: makes 8 crêpes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the passion fruit curd
- 125 g passion fruit juice
- 185 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 25 g butter, melted
- 1 leaf gelatine, softened in cold water and drained
For the crêpes
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml milk, plus more if necessary
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 80 g plain flour, sieved
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- vegetable oil, for frying
For the sweetened mascarpone
- 210 ml mascarpone
- 100 ml double cream
- 50 g sugar
- 4 passion fruit, halved
1. For the passion fruit curd: combine the passion fruit juice, sugar, eggs and melted butter in a bowl.
2. Place over a pan of boiling water, not allowing the water to touch the bottom of the bowl and whisk for about 20 minutes, or until the mixture becomes thick and smooth.
3. Stir the softened gelatine into the hot curd, whisk and set the curd aside while you make the crêpes.
4. For the crêpes: whisk the eggs, milk and sugar together in a bowl, then fold in the flour. Add a little more milk if the batter appears too thick. Melt the butter over a medium heat until it goes a light nutty brown colour. Pour the butter into the crêpe mixture and stir to incorporate. Set aside.
5. For the sweetened mascarpone: whip the mascarpone, cream and sugar in a bowl, until soft peaks are formed when the whisk is removed from the bowl. Reserve.
6. To cook the crêpes: heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan.
Take a small ladle of pancake batter and, holding the pan at a 45 degree angle, pour the mix in at the top of the pan - this allows the mix to run around the pan to make a thin, even pancake.
7. As the pancake sets, little bubbles will appear on the surface and it should become light golden-brown in colour underneath. Flip, using a fish slice if you are not confident throwing the pancake in the air, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Repeat to use up all the pancake mixture, keeping the pancakes warm as you cook the remainder.
8. To serve, spread the curd over the crêpes, add a dollop of sweetened mascarpone and roll up neatly. Spoon the fresh passion fruit over the top.
Rate This Recipe