- Serves: 10 tartlets
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Effort: hard
- 400 g ready-made sweet shortcrust pastry
- plain flour, for rolling out the pastry
For the fruit curd
- 6 passion fruit, pulp scooped out with a teaspoon
- 1 mango, peeled, stone removed
- 2 limes, juice only
- 180 g butter
- 120 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
For the meringue
- 2 egg whites
- 150 g caster sugar
- icing sugar, for dredging
1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4. You'll need to have handy some baking parchment or greaseproof paper, and baking beans for cooking the tartlets.
2. Roll the pastry out on a floured surface to 5mm thick. Cut out 10 large circles with a cutter, and use to line 10 moulds in a deep bun tin.
3. Place a square of scrunched up baking parchment in each uncooked pastry case, and fill the tartlets with baking beans. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes - this process is known as 'baking blind'.
4. Remove the parchment and beans, and return the tartlets to the oven for a further 5 minutes to cook and colour the cases. Remove from the oven and cool.
5. Scoop the passion fruit pulp into a blender and add the mango and lime juice - blitz until smooth.
6. Push the purée through a sieve using the back of a wooden spoon.
7. For the passion fruit curd, melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan and leave on one side to cool slightly.
8. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until pale and fluffy - it's best to do this with an electric whisk. Pour this mousse mixture into melted butter, stirring continuously.
9. Whisk in the fruit puree, and return the pan to cook, over a very gentle heat, stirring all the time, until the mixture thickens. This should take about 10-15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
10. Place the pastry cases on a baking tray. Spoon the warm passion fruit curd into the cases - about three-quarters full.
11. For the meringues, whisk the egg whites until soft peak stage, and gradually add the sugar, whisking all the time.
12. Continue to whisk until the meringue mixture takes on a glossy sheen. Spoon the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a plain 5mm fluted or plain nozzle.
13. Pipe the meringue in swirls over the top of the fruit curd, and bake in the oven for 15 minutes - until the meringue is golden. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Rate This Recipe