- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus freezing
- Effort: medium
- 225 g plain flour
- 115 g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp cold water
For the filling:
- 190 ml passion fruit purée
- 40 ml fresh lime juice
- 40 ml lemon juice
- 250 g sugar
- 8 eggs
- 425 ml whipping cream
- icing sugar, for caramelising
For the sorbet:
- 450 ml water
- 450 ml sugar
- grated zest and juice of 2 limes
- 8 tbsp black vodka
- 375 ml tonic water
- summer berries
- sprigs mint
1. First prepare the sorbet. In a saucepan, simmer together the water, sugar and lime zest until the sugar melts. Bring to the boil and cook briskly until the mixture forms a light syrup. Cool and chill for at least 2 hours.
2. Strain the syrup and stir in the vodka, tonic and lime juice. Pour into an ice cream maker and churn following instructions until frozen, around 20-30 minutes. Freeze until serving.
3. Put the flour and butter in a food processor and process until it resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Lightly beat one egg yolk with the water. Add the yolk mixture to the flour mixture. Process until the mixture comes together in a ball.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
6. Roll out the pastry thinly and use it to line an 4 x 18cm flan ring with a removable base. Prick the base of the pastry case all over. Line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.
7. Blind-bake the pastry case for 10 minutes until the pastry is pale gold.
8. Remove the baking parchment and baking beans. Beat the remaining egg yolk and brush the pastry case with it. Return the pastry case to the oven and bake for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oven.
9. Lower the oven temperature to 120°C/gas 1/2.
10. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the passion fruit puree, lime and lemon juice, sugar, eggs and cream.
11. Pour the passion fruit mixture into the pastry case.
12. Bake the tart in the oven for 40 minutes until just set. Remove and cool.
13. Sprinkle a fine, even layer of icing sugar over the cooled tart and caramelise using a chef's blow-torch.
14. Serve the tart with the vodka sorbet, summer berries, tuiles and mint sprigs.
Rate This Recipe