- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the sauce
- 2 x 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 400 ml passata
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- tbsp salted capers, rinsed
- pinches dried chillies
- 1 tbsp sugar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the pasta
- 3 medium aubergines
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g penne
- 50 g parmesan, grated
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 x 100 g balls mozzarella, roughly chopped
- rocket and red radicchio salad, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. For the sauce, combine the tomatoes, passata, garlic, capers, chilli, sugar, salt and pepper in a large saucepan and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Cut the aubergine into 1 cm thick slices, brush with oil and grill or fry on both sides until browned.
4. Lightly oil a deep, ovenproof dish and arrange a layer of the warm aubergine across the base and up the sides, overlapping the slices to resemble fish scales.
5. Cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water according to the manufacturer's instructions. Drain well and combine with the tomato sauce.
6. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
7. Spoon the pasta and sauce into the centre of the aubergine-lined dish, scattering a layer or two of the mozzarella through it as you go.
8. Cover with remaining aubergine, seal with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
9. Remove the foil and loosen the edges with a knife. Place a large warmed serving platter on top of the dish, and carefully turn the entire thing over, so that the moulded aubergine slips out on to the platter.
10. Serve with a rocket and red radicchio salad.
Rate This Recipe