- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the pasta base
- 150 g spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 eggs, beaten
- a pinch of oregano
For the rossa topping
- 400 g tinned cherry tomotoes, see tip
- 1 tsp oregano
- a good pinch of sugar
- 50 g black olives, drained and pitted
- 6 anchovy fillets, drained
- 6 large basil leaves
Tips and Suggestions
If you cant find tinned cherry tomatoes, use tinned chopped tomatoes instead.
For another take on pasta pizza, try Rachel Khoo's pasta pizza bianca
1. Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente, approximately 10 minutes. Drain the pasta into a colander and leave to drain to remove the majority of the water.
2. Preheat the grill to a high heat. In the meantime, start to make the simple pasta rossa sauce. In a medium sized saucepan bring the tinned tomatoes and oregano to a simmer with salt and pepper. After 5 minutes of simmering, blend with a hand blender or in batches in a liquidiser until smooth. Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
3. Lay out a clean tea towel, tip out the pasta onto it and roll it in the tea towel to remove all excess moisture.
4. Heat a large frying pan with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the oregano and seasoning. Place the pasta in the bowl with the eggs and toss to thoroughly coat the pasta. This is easiest to do with your hands.
5. When the oil in the frying pan is really hot, add the pasta (this should make two bases) and spread out evenly across the surface of the pan. Fry for 4 minutes, or until the base is really golden and crunchy.
6. Add the tomato sauce to the top and arrange the anchovy fillets and scatter over the olives, along with the olives and anchovies. Place under the grill for 4-5 minutes. Scatter with the basil leaves.
For more pasta pizza inspiration, see Rachel Khoo's pasta pizza bianca
Rate This Recipe