- Serves: Makes 12-16 tarts
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 4 egg yolks
- 75 g caster sugar
- 140 ml single cream
- 500 g puff pastry
1. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and caster sugar until thick and pale.
2. Gradually add in the cream, beating well.
3. Pour the mixture into a heavy-based saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
4. Simmer, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Set aside to cool.
5. Preheat the oven to 240°C/gas 9.
6. Roll out the puff pastry finely and cut out 12-16 rounds.
7. Use the puff pastry rounds to line a greased, deep mini-muffin tin, pressing the pastry in well.
8. Fill each pastry case with a tablespoon of the cooled custard.
9. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the pastry is golden and risen and the custard has browned on the top. Cool, then serve.
Rate This Recipe