- Serves: Makes 20 (serves 4-6 as a starter)
- Cook Time: 20 minutes (or 1 hr 40 mins if baking the potatoes in the oven)
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the patatokephtethakia
- 550 g floury potatoes, baked or microwaved in their skins
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 30 g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 60 g well drained feta cheese, finely crumbed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 60 g bulgur wheat
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- extra virgin olive oil, for frying
For the salad
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into thin ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 medium cucumber, cut into batons
- large handful rocket
- 1 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- squeeze lemon juice
- drizzle lemon-infused olive oil or extra virgin olive oil
1. For the patatokephtethakia: halve the cooked potatoes and scoop out the flesh. Weigh out 450g of the flesh and mash thoroughly or pass through a potato ricer or mouli-legumes (dont use a food processor as this will make them gluey).
2. Mix in the dill, butter, egg yolk, spring onions, feta and lemon juice and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. If you have the time, chill the mixture in the fridge for half an hour, to firm up.
4. Tip the bulgar wheat and the flour into a food processor and blend to a fine, sandy consistency. Pour into a shallow dish.
5. Take spoonfuls of the potato mixture and roll into 2.5 cm balls. Flatten them lightly, to form mini-burger shapes, then coat them in the bulgar-flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
6. Pour 5mm depth of olive oil into a heavy-based frying-pan and heat over a medium-high heat. Fry the croquettes for about 2 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden-brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain briefly on kitchen paper.
7. For the salad: gently mix all of the salad ingredients together, adding lemon juice, lemon oil and sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
8. Serve the patatokephtethakia hot and crisp with the salad alongside.
Rate This Recipe