- Serves: 8-10
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: medium
- 6 large eggs, whites
- 1 pinches salt
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1.5 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 0.5 tsp vanilla essence
For the filling:
- 300 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 400 g mixed berries, such as strawberries and blueberries
For the sauce:
- 4 passion fruit
- 5 strawberries
- 2 large mango, firm, skinned and diced
- 0.5 cans papaya, cubed (optional)
- 100 ml sugar syrup
- 200 ml double cream
- 5 strawberries
- 2 pinches icing sugar
1. Set the oven to 165ºC/gas 3. Line a 23x32cm Swiss roll pan with Black Magic or silicone paper (paint lightly with sunflower oil if using the latter).
2. Whisk the egg whites and salt together until they stand in floppy peaks. Beat in half of the sugar, 2 tbsp at a time. Carefully fold in the remaining sugar, cornflour, vinegar and vanilla.
3. Spread over the prepared tin with a palette knife.
4. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the tin around in the oven and cook another 10 minutes, or until just beginning to colour on top and then cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
5. Place a thick sheet of greaseproof paper on a cake wire and sprinkle with the 2 tbsp extra caster sugar.
6. Carefully flip over the Pavlova on the paper and peel the paper off the bottom, if using. Leave to cool for another 10 minutes. You may need to trim the short sides, if they are dry and crusty, with a serrated knife before rolling.
7. To make the filling, whisk the cream until very thickened, add the sugar and brandy and continue to whisk until stiff.
8. Spread the cream over two-thirds of the roulade and sprinkle with the fruit.
9. Using the paper, roll the Pavlova, turning the long side in first and use it to keep it rolled up.
10. Tip gently onto a long serving dish, using a palette knife to help, gently pulling the paper away. Cover with clingfilm and keep chilled.
11. Pipe rosettes on the top if you wish, and decorate with the halved strawberries. Alternatively, dust with icing sugar (useful if you have any cracks or blemishes!).
12. For the sauce, scoop the seeds from the passion fruit. Mix the remaining ingredients together, adding the syrup to moisten. Serve in a bowl.
13. Serve the Pavlova roulade in slices, with the sauce.
Rate This Recipe