- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus cooling time
- Effort: medium
For the pavlova
- 6 egg whites
- 300 g caster sugar
- 60 g unrefined caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, scraped
- 10 ml white malt vinegar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
For the sherry agar jelly cubes
- 300 g sherry, try oloroso or palo cortado
- 100 ml apple juice
- 30 g caster sugar, or more to taste
- 4 g agar agar
For passion fruit mascarpone cream
- 150 g passion fruit, pulped
- 100 g icing sugar
- 200 g mascarpone
- 300 ml double cream
- 6 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced into rings
1. For the Pavlova: preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
2. Beat the egg whites, both sugars and the vanilla scrapings with an electric whisk for 10 minutes.
3. Mix the vinegar and cornflour together and add to the meringue and keep beating for another 5 minutes.
4. Use a spatula to remove all of the meringue from the bowl and form it into a nest about 25cm around you can be fairly rough.
5. Place in the centre of the oven and drop the temperature to 100ºC.
6. Bake for 1 hour then turn the oven off.
7. If its coloured beyond pale gold then leave the door ajar slightly until its completely cooled down otherwise just leave it in the oven to cool down.
8. For the jelly cubes: place half the sherry, the apple juice and the sugar into a small pan and bring almost to the boil.
9. Whisk in the agar agar powder, making sure it doesnt adhere to the whisk, and cook at a rapid simmer for 3 minutes.
10. Take off the heat and whisk in the remaining sherry for 30 seconds.
11. Pour onto a clean plastic tray or container, no more than 15 x 15cm square. It will set as it cools.
12. Cut into 1cm cubes and tip out these jellies will not melt at room temperature.
13. For the passion fruit mascarpone: mix the passion fruit pulp with the icing sugar.
14. Combine the mascarpone and whisk for 20 seconds.
15. Add the cream and whisk until soft peaks form.
16. To serve: place the pavlova on a platter. Spread the passion fruit cream over it, then scatter with the kiwi fruit and the sherry jelly cubes.
Rate This Recipe