- Serves: 10-12
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hr chilling time
- Effort: medium
- 225 g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 175 g unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 115 g caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 225 g blanched flaked almonds
- 225 g unsalted butter, softened
- 225 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp amaretto (almond liqueur)
- 5 Comice pears
1. First make the pastry. In a food processor pulse the flour, salt, butter and sugar until the mixture is coarsely combined.
2. Add the egg yolks and pulse until the mixture combines evenly and leaves the sides of the bowl. Wrap in cling film and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour until hard.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Coarsely grate the pastry into a 30cm loose-bottomed fluted flan tin, then press it evenly onto the sides and base of the tin.
4. Cover the pastry with foil or greaseproof paper cut to fit and weigh it down with dried beans. Bake the pastry 'blind' for 20 minutes until lightly golden and remove the pastry case. Cool and remove the beans. Reduce the oven temperature to 160ºC/Gas 3.
5. Meanwhile, make the filling. Grind the flaked almonds in a food processor and set to one side.
6. Cream the butter and sugar in the food processor until the mixture is pale, then add the ground almonds and continue to mix to a smooth paste.
7. Add the eggs and Amaretto and pulse together until evenly incorporated.
8. Peel, halve and core the pears and arrange them cut side down in the pastry case. Spread the almond mixture over the top and bake for 50-60 minutes until golden brown and lightly set. Serve warm or cold.
Rate This Recipe