- Serves: Makes approx 750ml chutney
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 6 pears, cored and cubed
- 3 apples
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 400 g brown sugar
- 150 g sultanas
- 75 g dried apricots, chopped
- 500 ml cider vinegar
- 250 ml still cider, or dry white wine
- 1 tbsp grain mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- half tsp ground cinnamon
- half tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried oregano
1. Place all the chutney ingredients in a large stainless-steel saucepan. Cook gently over a very low heat, stirring often, until all the sugar has dissolved.
2. Continue to simmer, stirring now and then, for around 1 and a half hours, by which time the mixture should have thickened.
3. Spoon the chutney into warm sterilized jars, seal with vinegar-proof tops and store in a cool dark place. Stored this way it should keep for up to 6 months. Once opened, however, it should be refrigerated and consumed quickly.
Rate This Recipe