- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 225 g pears or apples, peeled and cored
- grated zest of 1 lemons
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 25 g stale breadcrumbs
- 3 eggs, separated
- 55 ml double cream
- icing sugar, for dusting
- bay leaves
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the pears and lemon zest.
2. Cook gently over a low heat for 5 minutes until the pears begin to soften.
3. Add the sugar, mixing well, and cook for a further 5 minutes until it melts and becomes syrupy.
4. Toss in the breadcrumbs so that they soak up the syrup, adding them a little at a time as you may not need to use all the breadcrumbs.
5. In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, taking care not to over-whisk.
6. Beat the egg yolks with the cream.
7. Gently stir the egg yolk mixture into the pear mixture, mixing in thoroughly.
8. Fold in the egg whites.
9. Over a very low heat, cook gently until the mixture sets. If you need to speed up the process, cook the tansy under a warm grill until set.
10. Dust with icing sugar, decorate with bay leaves and ribbon and serve.
Rate This Recipe