- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp neutral oil, such as grapeseed
- 125 g fresh walnut pieces
- 2 just-ripe pears
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 250 g halloumi cheese, thinly sliced
- 150 g watercress sprigs or baby spinach leaves
- 2 avocados, cut into chunks (optional)
Tips and Suggestions
If preferred you can roast the walnuts dry on a baking tray at 180C/160C fan/Gas 4 for 12-15 minutes. If you choose this method, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the salad when tossing it.
1. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan and fry the walnuts over a medium heat until lightly browned ' about 2-3 minutes. Lift them out of the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Reserve the oil to dress the salad.
2. Halve and core the pears and slice each half into 6-8 wedges. Place in a mixing bowl and toss gently with the lemon juice.
3. Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a clean frying pan over a high heat. Fry the halloumi slices until they are golden on both sides.
4. Place the watercress or spinach in a large mixing bowl. Add the pears and their juices, the walnuts and their oil, the fried halloumi and the avocados, if using. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper then toss gently.
5. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl or individual plates to serve.
Rate This Recipe