- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 900 g hard pears
- 100 g brown sugar
- 300 ml sweet cider
- 300 ml water
- grated zest of 1 lemons
- 25 g blanched flaked almonds, toasted
- thick cream, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2.
2. Peel the pears but leave the stems on. Arrange the pears standing up in a deep casserole or earthenware dish.
3. Sprinkle over the sugar, pour over the cider and water and scatter over the lemon zest.
4. Bake in the oven for 4 hours, until tender but still whole.
5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the syrup.
6. Gently place the pears in a serving dish. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds.
7. Heat up the syrup in a saucepan and simmer gently until reduced by half.
8. Pour the syrup around the pears and serve with thick cream.
Rate This Recipe