- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 pears
- 1 lemon, juice and pared zest
- 1.5 litres perry, (pear cider)
- 175 g light brown sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
1. Peel the pears, leaving the stalks intact and rub them with half the lemon juice.
2. Place the perry, sugar, vanilla pod, remaining lemon juice and lemon zest in a pan which is big enough to take the pears standing up. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat.
3. Place the pears in the pan and simmer for 30-40 minutes until just tender. Lift them out into a serving dish and leave to cool.
4. Remove the vanilla pod and lemon zest from the cooking liquid. Bring it back to the boil and boil rapidly until syrupy and concentrated in flavour.
5. Pour the syrup over the pears and serve with ice cream.
Rate This Recipe