- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 30 minutes cooling
- Effort: easy
- 6 small pears
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 600 ml lychee wine
- 225 g caster sugar
- 1 can lychees, juice reserved
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
Tips and Suggestions
The pears can be poached up to two days in advance and kept in the fridge before serving.
If you can't find lychee wine in Asian stores, look for it online - you can get it quite cheaply here. Alternatively, use Gewurztraminer wine as a substitute.
1. Peel the pears, keeping them whole and the stalk intact.
2. Place the star anise, cinnamon, lychee wine, sugar and canned lychees and syrup in a pan and bring to a simmer. Add the pears, making sure they are covered by the liquid. Place a lid on and poach for 20-30 minutes, or until tender all the way though.
3. Remove the pears from the pan and set aside. Return the poaching liquid to the heat and boil until reduced to a syrupy consistency. Set aside until cooled.
4. To serve, place each pear into a bowl and spoon over the cooled syrup and garnish with the lychees. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Rate This Recipe