- Serves: 8
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus 15 min chilling
- Effort: medium
For the pastry
- 180 g plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 120 g chilled butter, chopped
- 3 tbsp iced water
For the pecan filling
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml pure maple syrup
- 100 g brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 150 g pecans, toasted and chopped, plus extra for decoration
For the pumpkin filling
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 425 g can pumpkin puree
- 150 g brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- 250 ml single cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- vanilla ice cream
Tips and Suggestions
Want some more calories in this? Replace the single cream with condensed milk for maximum indulgence.
1. For the pastry: combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Work the butter into the flour with your fingers until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
2. Sprinkle the iced water onto the crumbly dough and, with your hands, push the dough from the sides into the middle of the bowl until it forms a ball that will hold together.
3. Transfer the dough to a work surface. Cut the dough in half and press one half on top of the other. Repeat 4-5 times until the dough is smooth and pliable. Cover with cling film and chill for 15 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
5. On a floured surface, gently flatten the dough with a rolling pin. Starting from the centre, roll the dough into a circle about 2.5cm larger than the diameter of a 25cm pie tin. Lift the dough into the pan and fold the edges under.
6. Crimp the edges, using your fingers or a fork. Put the lined case back into the fridge while you prepare the pecan filling.
7. For the pecan filling: whisk the eggs in a bowl until foamy. Stir in the maple syrup, vanilla, brown sugar, salt and pecans. Spread this mixture over the bottom of the pie crust and bake for 20 minutes or until set.
8. For the pumpkin filling: whisk the eggs in a bowl until foamy. Add the pumpkin purée, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cream and vanilla and stir until well combined.
9. Remove the pie from the oven. Pour the pumpkin filling over the pecan filling, top with pecan halves to decorate, and return to the oven for 40 minutes.
10. Remove the pie from the oven and leave to cool for 20 minutes before serving in slices with a dollop of whipped cream for the pumpkin pie lovers, and vanilla ice cream for the pecan pie lovers!
Rate This Recipe