- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 30 mins chilling
- Effort: medium
For the pastry case
- 225 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 150 g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 tbsp water
For the filling
- 3 eggs
- 75 g soft butter
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 225 g dark corn or sugar cane syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 350 g pecan halves, 150g chopped and the remainder left whole
- whipped cream or ice cream, to serve
1. To make the pastry case, place the flour in a mixing bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water and bring together with your hands to form a ball. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
3. Roll out the chilled dough on a floured work surface and use it to line a 20cm loose-based flan tin.
4. To make the filling, place the eggs, butter, sugar, syrup, salt and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and beat until well blended. Add the chopped pecans and mix well. Pour the mixture into the pastry case.
5. Cover the top of the pie with the pecan halves.
6. Bake the pie for about 45 minutes, until golden. Cool on a wire rack and turn out carefully onto a serving plate. Serve hot or cold.
Rate This Recipe