- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 170 g butter
- 200 g flour
- 100 g icing sugar
For the filling:
- 100 g butter
- 4 tbsp honey
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 100 g pecans, chopped
- vanilla ice cream or crème fraîche, to serve
1. First make the pastry. In a food processor blend together the butter, flour and icing sugar until it forms into a pastry ball.
2. Divide the dough into 6 portions. Take a portion of dough and press it into a greased 9cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Repeat the process until you have lined 6 flan tins. Place the pastry-lined tins in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 140°C/gas 1. Line the pastry cases with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for a further 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly. Increase the oven temperature to 190°C/gas 5.
4. Now make the filling. In a saucepan melt together the butter and honey. Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring, until the sugar has melted.
5. Bring the butter mixture to the boil. Stir in the double cream and vanilla essence, cook briefly and remove from heat.
6. Divide the chopped pecans among the baked blind pastry cases. Pour the butter mixture over the pecans, taking care not to overfill the pastry cases.
7. Bake the pecan tarts in the oven for 12-14 minutes, until the filling is bubbling. Remove the pies from the oven, cool on a wire rack and turn out from the flan tins.
8. Serve the pecan pies with ice cream, cream or crème fraiche.
Rate This Recipe