- Serves: makes 12 -16 slices
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 100 g butter
- 50 g caster sugar
- 225 g plain flour
For the topping
- 150 g butter
- 100 g clear honey
- 200 g lightlight muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 175 g shelled pecans, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Line a 33 x 18cm baking tin with baking parchment. Whiz the butter, sugar and flour together in a food processor to a smooth dough.
2. Press the mixture into the tin and bake for 15 minutes, until the base is firm and golden.
3. Meanwhile, make the topping. Place the butter, honey and sugar in a heavy-based pan. Cook over a low heat until the butter is melted, stirring with a wooden spoon.
4. Increase the heat and boil the mixture for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in the cream and pecan nuts.
5. Pour over the set shortbread and bake for a further 20-25 minutes until the topping is bubbling and a rich caramel colour. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
6. Chill until set, cut into bars and serve.
Rate This Recipe