- Serves: Makes 2 litres
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 6-8 small shallots, chopped
- 16-18 clove garlic, (about 1½ bulbs), chopped
- large piece fresh ginger, about 80g, chopped
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, tough outer leaves discarded, bulb shredded
- 4-5 lime leaves, shredded
- large piece fresh galangal, about 60g, chopped
- 1½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 100 g Thai red chilli paste
- 1½ tbsp Malaysian curry powder
- 650 ml vegetable stock
- 1.3 litres canned coconut milk
1. Put the shallots, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, lime leaves and galangal in a food processor. Whiz to a paste, scraping down the sides of the goblet several times.
2. Heat the oil in a wide heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add the spice paste, chilli paste and curry powder. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring, but do not allow the mixture to brown.
3. Add the stock and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, then continue to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until slightly reduced.
4. Pour through a fine sieve set over a bowl, and leave to cool until required.
Rate This Recipe