- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the warm bread salad
- 3 red peppers
- 5 tbsp Italianextra virgin olive oil
- 1 loaf country bread, roughly torn
- 50 g frisée lettuce
- 1 head of radicchio lettuce
- 1 cucumber, cubed
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- tbsp capers, in vinegar
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 10 basil
- 8 canned tinned anchovies, chopped
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
For the steaks
- 2 handfuls toasted breadcrumbs
- small crushed black peppercorns
- 4 x 250g sirloin steaks
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 100 ml Italian olive oil
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Place the peppers in a large roasting pan with 1 tablespoon of the oil and cook for 20 minutes, until blackened. Remove from the oven, place in a large bowl and cover with cling-film.
3. Place the bread in a large roasting tin and cook for 10 minutes, until golden and crisp.
4. Combine the lettuce leaves, cucumber, onions, capers, tomatoes, basil and anchovies.
5. Dress the salad with the vinegar and remaining olive oil and season with sugar, salt and pepper.
6. Remove the skin and seeds from the roasted peppers and cut into strips. Add the peppers and warm bread to the salad and toss well.
7. For the steak coating, combine the breadcrumbs and black pepper with the salt.
8. Dip the steaks in beaten egg white and coat them with breadcrumbs.
9. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the steaks for 2 minutes on each side - until the coating is golden, and the meat tender. Drain on absorbent paper.
10. To serve, thinly slice the steak, and accompany with a handful of warm salad.
Rate This Recipe